Get Map Data from ArcGIS Online / Portal
ArcGIS Online / Portal for ArcGIS
ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS are platforms to manage and share maps and geographic information with the public and individuals in your organization. You can share all kinds of geographic information: maps, scenes, map layers, features, editing templates (using layer packages), imagery, and analytic results.
Get Map Data
Get map data from ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS to quickly and easily add context to an existing CityEngine scene. You can also type in a location and create a new CityEngine scene from scratch without needing any data.
- Start CityEngine.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
- Pan with the left mouse button to navigate around the map. You can also search for an area and then zoom in or out to the area you want.
- Next, select the type of basemap from the drop-down menu.
- Click the
If you have an existing CityEngine scene, and select an extent that is further away than 500 kilometers from the existing scene data, CityEngine displays an error and you will need change the location of the extent.
button to specify a rectangle of the area of the map to download into the scene. You can also manually enter the width and height and the coordinates of the area to download.
- Choose the resolution.
- Select Get Terrain if you would like to include elevation data with your map.
To get elevation data with your map you need to have an Organizational ArcGIS Online account.
- Finally, you can add Open Street Map (OSM) data to your scene. OSM data contains a map of the world created by users and free to use under an open license. Select Download networks for street data and Download polygons for polygonal shapes such as building footprints.
- Click .
- If applicable the OSM dialog opens where you can optionally customize your OSM import. Click
You may experience long download times if you select an area that is too large. This happens often when you are zoomed out too far and have a small map scale.
Get map data will automatically convert data to the current CityEngine coordinate system without any restrictions.
Create a 3D City
To add more detail to your scene, quickly create 3D building models and streets with built-in CityEngine rules.
Tip: Select all objects and align terrain to shapes. This aligns the terrain to building footprints and streets and makes the shapes more visible and will give better 3D visualizations.
To create a 3D city model from your imported shapes just select everything and generate.
Copyright ©2008-2018 Esri R&D Center Zurich. All rights reserved.