Get map data from ArcGIS Online / Portal
ArcGIS Online / Portal for ArcGIS
ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS are platforms to manage and share maps and geographic information with the public and individuals in your organization. You can share all kinds of geographic information: maps, scenes, map layers, features, editing templates (using layer packages), imagery, and analytic results.
Get map data
Get map data from ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS to quickly and easily add context to an existing CityEngine scene. You can also type in a location and create a new CityEngine scene from scratch without needing any data.
- Start CityEngine.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
- Click The Get map data dialog opens.
- Click the Pan button to navigate around the map. You can also search for an area and then zoom in or out to the area you want.
- Next, select the type of basemap from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Select extent button to drag a rectangle of the area of the map to download into the scene. You can also manually enter the width and height and the coordinates of the area to download.
- Choose the resolution.
- Select Get Terrain if you would like to include elevation data with your map.
- Finally, you can add Open Street Map (OSM) data to your scene. OSM data contains a map of the world created by users and free to use under an open license. Select Download networks for street data and Download polygons for polygonal shapes such as building footprints.
- Click OK.
- The OSM dialog opens where you can optionally customize your OSM import. Click Finish. The map with terrain, streets, and polygons aligned to the elevation data is added to your CityEngine scene.
You may experience long download times if you select an area that is too large. This happens often when you are zoomed out too far and have a small map scale.
To get elevation data with your map you need to have an Organizational ArcGIS Online account.
Create a 3D City
To add more detail to your scene, quickly create 3D building models and streets with built-in CityEngine rules.
Tip: Select all objects and align terrain to shapes. This aligns the terrain to building footprints and streets and makes the shapes more visible and will give better 3D visualizations.
To create a 3D city model from your imported shapes do the following:
- Select the building footprints.
- Assign the rule file Building_From_Footprint.cga located in .
- Select the street networks.
- Assign the Street_Modern_Standard.cga rule file located in .
You have created a realistic 3D city from scratch in minutes!
Copyright ©2008-2016 Esri R&D Center Zurich. All rights reserved.