Folder Organization and File Types
For your convenience, a set of default folders is created for the various file types you encounter in a CityEngine project. These default locations are also used by the CityEngine specific file-selectors for quick access. A default CityEngine project contains the following folders:
- assets: The assets from this folder are applied by the CGA insert command to compose 3D models during generation. CityEngine supports various asset formats such as ".obj" and ".fbx". Assets can be previewed inside CityEngine by the Inspector but you need an external tool to create or edit assets.
- data: This folder contains arbitrary supplementary data. For example lots or mass models (as grouped ".obj" or ".dxf" files) are stored in this folder. These can be imported into the CityEngine as shapes and street networks, on which shape grammar rules can be applied. If you have other project related resources such as artwork and sketches, place them into the data folder as well.
- images: Additional imagery like Viewport snapshots are stored here.
- maps: This folder contains the image maps used by the map layers. For example, a height- or obstacle-map is stored here. Various bitmap file formats such as ".jpg", ".png", ".tif" are supported by CityEngine.
- models: This folder is the default location for exported 3D models.
- rules: This folder contains the CGA shape grammar rule files ".cga". Double-clicking on a CGA file will directly open the CGA editor for that file.
- scenes: Here, CityEngine scene files (".cej") are stored. Double clicking on a scene file will close the current scene (if any) and open the newly selected scene.
The easiest way to fill your project with files is dragging files into the navigator from your system file browser. More advanced import options will be explained in the next section.
Copyright ©2008-2016 Esri R&D Center Zurich. All rights reserved.